This article refers to permission settings available to Room Owners and teams with Manage Data Room permission.
The Data Room tab
thedocyard's data room tab is a fully featured, virtual data room supporting private Q&A and granular permission settings.
Administrators are able to control access to the data room tab, folders and files with easy-to-use permission settings.
Set Access to the Data Room
Permissions can be set:
- at tab level in the Team Management view (Note: to set folder and file permissions, you will need to open the Data Room tab and right-click on the specific folder / file). Click on the action icon (the three vertical dots) at the corner of the team's tile:
- by right-clicking on the data room tab and selecting Edit from the menu.
In order to set team permissions, the teams must first be published. (For more information, see Add new teams & members)
It is recommended that invitations to external parties are not sent until the deal room has been set up. Creating a team does not mean having to send out invitations - room administrators can leave the team empty or set up invitations and leave them as pending until after the permissions have been set.
Once a team has been published, room admins can toggle "Deny" to "Allow" in order to set the team's permissions.
If the permission switch is set to "Deny", that team will not be able to see the tab.
Toggling the switch across to "Allow" provides the team with access to the tab and the default setting which allows them to view the documents using thedocyard's built-in document viewer.
To activate permissions, click on the icons, as shown below.
From left to right, the permissions are:
- View Only - members can only review documents online and set as default on "Allow"
- Download - members have permission to download documents. Note: documents will be in their native format and therefore NOT watermarked
- Print - an option on the Online viewer
- Rename - allows members to rename uploaded files
- Upload - allows members to upload files
- Save as PDF - an option on the Online viewer
- Delete - allows members to delete files
- Watermark all documents - an option on the Online viewer and set as default on "Allow"
- Edit folders - allows members to create and edit folders
Enabling Download permission permits members of that team to download files in their native format and to use the Bulk Export feature. It is not possible to watermark files that are downloaded. If Administrators require that files remain watermarked, DO NOT allow download permission but allow use of the Online Viewer + Watermark + Save as PDF. This will allow members to save a a watermarked copy of the file.
Set permissions for folders
In the data room, Administrators can set permissions for folders and sub-folders by right-clicking on the folder and selecting Folder Permission
The permissions that were set at tab level will be visible. They can be changed to Deny or restrict access by members by activating the icons and clicking Update to save changes.
Set permissions for files
In addition to controlling access to specific folders, as described above, individual files can be hidden from view by clicking on the file's menu icon (the three vertical dots at the end of the file's field) and selecting FILE PERMISSION
From the File Permission window, administrators can select to Hide a file from a specific team.
Reset permissions (for sub folders)
There may be occasions when the permission sets higher in the folder hierarchy conflict with the settings in folders below and you will see a message as below:
It is possible to reset sub-folder permissions by going back to the 'parent' folder and selecting "Reset Folder Permission" from the menu:
Selecting Reset Permission will return the folder to the default tab setting.